Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Prayer is Not a Weapon or a Prop

While I'm waiting for the Florida Conference's server to send me a new password so that I can do Year-End Reports, I thought that I'd point out Michael Spencer's excellent post in which he condemns the practice of saying condescendingly to people "I'll pray for you" as a way of expressing disdain:

If that prayer request was put forward to make you look ________________ (fill in the blank), then it’s a show, not a prayer. It’s just another version of prayers said for an audience, similar to “I thank thee Lord that I am not like other men….such as Spencer over there.”

As I've written before, prayer is a sacred act before God, not a rhetorical prop to be used against other people. Keep it holy, folks.

2 comments:

Dale Tedder said...

Gosh, and I thought letting folks know you would be praying for them was a good thing.

I'm not sure I've ever heard that phrase used as a weapon or uttered condescendingly.

You must hang out in some rough churches.

I'll pray for you about that,
Dale

John said...

In memory, I've only encountered it in the blogosphere, which is what Michael Spencer is referencing.