Saturday, April 18, 2009

The 10 Coolest Words the English Language Needs

If you've ever studied a foreign language, you've probably come across a word that can only be translated into English with a lengthy phrase because English has no functional equivalent. There's a Hebrew word that Bible translators had to describe by inventing the English word "lovingkindness", which always struck me as a nifty idea. It's a good thing to demonstrate lovingkindness. I know that I've learned words in French and Latin that I thought would be useful, but they escape my hazy memory at the moment.

Cracked has a list of 10 such words, my favorite of which is the German term backpfeifengesicht. This translates roughly as "a face badly in need of a fist." And we've all met people that really need to be punched. German has a word for it! How cool is that? Check out the whole list.

What foreign language word do you think that English should adopt?

No comments: